Seeking a preschool Ballet Teacher.
Ballet Preschool Teachers introduce music and movement skills to dancers ages 3 to 5 years. Ballet/Dance Teachers prepare students ages 6 – 11 for intensive training and professional training including Alberta Ballet School.
Expeted start date: September 2021
Detailed Tasks Associated with Key Deliverables
1. Instructional Duties
- Structure and teach ballet classes following the School’s System of Training
- Follow all teaching outlines and guidelines set out in the teacher handbook
- Teach preschool creative movement and musicality/rhythm to students using imagery and imagination
- Teach ballet from a strong, classical foundation to students in a variety of levels.
- Maintain appropriate staff/student relationships
- Attend demonstrations, auditions and lectures
- Participate in the audition selection process as required
- Produce written assessments on student progress
- Record and report on student attendance
- Communicate with parents of students as required and take notes of conversations with parents
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job
2. Non Instructional Duties
- Assist the school and students with photo days
- Attend/Supervise rehearsals and performances which include the School’s students
- Attend Year-End Performance (YEP) rehearsals/performances
- Attend staff meetings and training usually within normal working hours but also others that fall before the start, or at the end of each term
Working Conditions / physical requirements
This job is performed at the school in a variety of settings
- Teaching – standing for long periods of time, repetitive movements, demonstrating dance
- Frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching.
- Speaking for long periods of time, voice and speech indicating tempo, rhythm and quality
- Due to some computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists.
- Alberta Ballet School operates six days a week from Monday to Saturday. Public hours of operation are 7:30 AM to 9:00 PM Monday through Friday, and 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM on Saturdays. Shortened office hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM apply during school holidays and summer months.
- As a performing arts organization and academic school, there will be projects and pursuits that may require time above and beyond the typical work schedule including evening and weekends for performances and recitals.
- Employees are expected to comply with all safety regulations.
- Successful completion of a criminal record and vulnerable sectors check
- Must complete Respect in Sport Activity Leader Certification.
- Artistic Ballet Principal
- Head of Departments (Open, Professional, Post Graduate)
- Pianists and students
Responsible for the supervision of students at Alberta Ballet School
PT Term Contract
- Minimum 3 years experience.
- Experience teaching both male and female students
- Experience teaching preschool ages (3 to 5)
- Experience teaching a wide range of levels to include Primary and Grade one
- Experience as a Professional Teacher: Familiar with early childhood development
- Experience working with a live accompanist
- Qualified Cecchetti Ballet Teacher; familiar with Vagonava method an asset.
- Proactive and flexible approach to work, willing to be involved in all areas of the School’s dance initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to build good supportive relationships with students, colleagues and the wider dance community
- First aid training or willing to attend training courses
- Flexible attitude towards duties and working patterns in order to fulfill the requirements of the role
- Empathy with and a commitment to the aims and ethos of the School
- Willing to participate in Teacher Development Program when scheduled
- An ability to prepare age appropriate choreographed dances
- General knowledge of Office Equipment including a computer, scanner, email and outlook
- Audition class required
- Must be available Saturday mornings / early afternoon; Monday evenings
- Subbing availability an asset