Scottish Opera is Looking for 4 Experienced Female Contemporary/Classical dancers for its Production of Nixon in China by John Adams, to be performed in Glasgow and Edinburgh in February 2020.
The choreography is a re-imagined contemporary version of The Red Detachment of Women, a famous Chinese ballet. It’s a politically driven propaganda work that depicts the story of a common woman who becomes a leader in a communist army. The original choreography was created during the Chinese cultural revolution in the 1960s when Mao was in power.
The choreography will be a remount from an existing version. Dancers will be asked to learn repertoire from the original but also to engage in a creative process for the work to develop.
- Technically precise with an acute attention to detail.
- Contact work is essential and applicants must have a strong base in this.
- The piece demands a wide dynamic range to draw from as well as being confident in character work.
- High level of improvisation and creative skills.
- Musicality is a must.
- The ability to learn quickly, a good working attitude and the ability to collaborate and work well within a huge team are essential.
- Should be able to work well under pressure and have a good level of stamina and fitness level.
- Scottish Opera welcomes applications from dancers of Asian background.